Hi Moms and Dads! When we are busy running children from here to there and organizing games/activities, we sometimes get lost. Not is a physical sense, but a psychological one. We forget that we are important because our lives become one of self-sacrifice. If we are running on empty, what are we able to give. Most of my life is spent giving, which is fantastic, but I have learned to self-indulge and do more things I enjoy. Like write this article : )
What is self-esteem? Self-esteem can be defined as our own subjective evaluation of our own worth. Note the word subjective. Often subject to change at any given time/circumstance. Monitoring our self-worth is important because it often motivates us to do progressive things. If you are anything like myself, you may find yourself getting bored easily. This is something I routinely struggle with. However, if I can focus and have the confidence to pursue progressive tasks, I’m able to accomplish productive things. This feeling of accomplishment then becomes a reward and prompts me to continue and improve. I’m slowly getting this process started, try it with me!
Here are a few steps to get us started:
- What your goals? Take a moment to break them down into smaller, obtainable steps.
- Now, try to put them into a timeline. It’s okay if you don’t meet them, let’s just see what it might look like.
- Positive self-talk/mantras. “I’m good enough, I’m smart enough, and doggone it, people like me” Stuart Smalley.
- Well, this is mostly true. Some people don’t like me, but who cares.
- Exercise and eat healthy. Do it.
- Do the things you enjoy! Get the mani/pedi, get your hair done, buy whatever new outfit you like.
- “Dress for the job you want”, I’m not sure who said that, but someone did.
- Celebrate even the smallest of accomplishments.
- Don’t drink too much! I’m serious.
- Stop being critical of yourself.
- Stop accepting shitty behavior from others and stop talking about them.
- Learn to accept compliments. I hate them too, let’s get over that together.
- Surround yourself with supportive people that love you.
Alright people, Let’s get to it!